Monday, November 17, 2008

Crabby Me


Ok - Just going to VENT here for a minute.... What does a stay at home mom have to do to get a day off?
I ask because - Brian's hobby is hunting - and mine is running. He wants to go hunting so he takes days off work and hunts from sun up to sun down. OR he goes all day on the weekend (like yesterday)- leaving the house about 4:45am and coming home at 8pm.
I - on the other hand - have been at home every day - ALL DAY - with a sick little boy. Stuck in the house, not going anywhere. Definitely NOT going running. Can't even go out to the treadmill because I want to be near him in case he pukes again or needs me. Now, I sound like an awful mom, I love my little boy and want to take care of him and feel so bad for him when he's sick. But I also need to go running. I have not exercised or ran since last Wed!!!
I can tell I'm getting really crabby. I am the type of person who needs an outlet for stress relef... I need to get out of the house and into the fresh air and let my mind wander for 45 minutes or so.
So when is this going to happen? I kept Little Man home from pre-school today because, although his fever is gone and he's not puking anymore, he's still not himself and pretty worn out. And, like I said earlier, Brian is hunting all day. Usually, on pre-school days Baby Sis and I go to the gym while Little Man is at school, not today.
I told Brian last night that it would be nice if he was home today before dark so I could go for a run and he said something along the lines of it would be nice if he came home with a big buck. Hmmm.... he doesn't have much sympathy for my running needs it appears.
So, my question is, when do I get to take a "day off" to spend away from the house with my friends, running and having fun? When do I get to spend a WHOLE weekend day doing exactly as I want?
Am I speaking to the choir out there other mothers?
Ok - just feeling a bit irritated (from the lack of running!!!) and needed to vent a bit.
Brian is going to be SO pleased with this post....

4 comments:

Beth E. said...

Hopped over to your site from MckMama's, and just had to comment on this post.

I sooo remember the frustration of being "stuck" in the house with little ones. I also provided child care services (I must've been totally out of my mind)and kept 5 children. My frustration through those early years was my husband's job. Yep, it paid the bills and we have always been very grateful for that. However, he would leave at 7:00 a.m. and not get home until at least 7:00 p.m., sometimes as late as 10:00 p.m.

I love my children dearly, would do anything in the world for them, but there were times I just wanted to pull my hair out. I craved spending time with other adults!

What I had to do...just for my own sanity...was schedule a weekend away a couple of times a year. For me, it was a Women's Retreat. A great way to refresh myself physically AND spiritually.

Also, I would tell hubby that I was going to be gone on a particular Saturday, and I would spend it alone....shopping, getting a manicure, eating where I wanted to eat, reading in the library, etc.

Back then, there were NO cell phones. I didn't have to worry about him calling me over every little thing. So, you might have to set some ground rules with him about what constitutes an "emergency" situation, to prevent him from calling every 10 minutes. :o)

ANYWAY...I hope this helps. I really do understand, as many other moms do, what you are going through! Just remember, "This, too, shall pass." Unfortunately, it passes all too quickly. We are quickly approaching the "empty nest syndrome" in our home. Our youngest will leave for college next fall. I'll have an entire new set of issues to deal with! :o/

Stop by and visit my blog sometime!

Blessings...

Alicia O. & the gang said...

Hey, just saw your entry on Domestically challenged and came over to check out your running! I too am a runner...who totally appreciated your last post! It's tough with little ones to get a "second" off let alone a whole day! I always say that as mom's we don't even get sick time! WHY? And yes....husbands sometimes forget that we are at home ALL DAY with children...albeit sickies! Great advice from the comment before me...wish I would take it toO! Anyhow...enjoyed the post! SO TRUE!

SometimesSheWhispers said...

I'm with you! My DH works and I stay home but sometimes he thinks home from work=free time....WRONG! I just remind him that although he leaves the house for his job and punches a clock.....I rarely get "off-duty" time! My hubby spent the other weekend fishing....I told him I hoped the boat sank! :)

Melanie said...

I know what ya mean. I pre-warn your brother of the few "me" times I schedule. Like, weeks in advance so that he is aware and on board. He doesn't hunt but can easily spend hours gaming or SLEEPING. When I start my 30 minutes of exercise time at night, I have to let him know so that he can listen for the kids (while he plays games). Does he let me know he's going to game for 3 hours? Um, no. Not an equal situation in the least. I do think he's gotten more reasonable with age, though.