Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Beautiful Christmas Tree


Seriously. I love my Christmas tree. I think it's gorgeous. You may, however, look at the picture and think "really?" - but let me explain.
You won't find my tree in a magazine. Very few of the ornaments match. It's a little scrawny and raggedy looking (hey - we have a tiny livingroom and very few trees actually fit).
But to me it's beautiful. I love the old-school colored lights. They're the kind we had when I was a kid. I love the bead garlands strewn haphazardly around the tree - Baby Sis loves them too because she won't leave them alone. I love that just about every single one of my ornaments has a story behind it or a special meaning. Big Sis made this ornament 5 years ago, when she was 5.
And here's Little Man's "Baby's First Christmas" ornament...
I have ornaments on my tree that used to be on my parent's tree.
I love that it fits the rest of my home, not a fancy house, definitely not a show house. But a home where it is very obvious that children live here.
True, most of the ornaments are located in top 2/3 of the tree, to try and keep little hands off them (notice I have NO glass ornaments, those will be packed away for several more years) although Baby Sis still manages to get her little paws on a few of them...

To me, our tree is like our family. A little chaotic, certainly not neat and tidy, but it holds a lot of love on its branches. It's a colorful, "kid" tree that I love, and that I hope will hold a lof special memories for my kids someday. Someday when I pass our special ornaments on to our kids, I hope they fondly place them on their own special trees. To me, that thought is more beautiful than any "matching" and well-decorated tree could be.

2 comments:

Beth E. said...

Your tree is beautiful...I love it! That's my kind of tree. Ours is full of memories, too. :o)

Your Christmas tree adventure was a hoot. lol Baby Girl was NOT into having her picture made! hehe Ahhh...kids. Aren't they great?! Yep, they ARE! :o)

Thank you so much for your prayers.

Blessings....

Melanie said...

It's a very sweet tree. G was very upset with me last year when I told him I wasn't putting my homemade ornies on it. I had bought a big tub of un-breakable ones at Target for 10 bucks. I figure I will pass them onto him when he moves on. I'm sure his girlfriend/wife will be thrilled, lol. Kids get really sentimental about stuff like that. My sister Lori has the ornaments my Mom used on our "downstairs tree" when we were growing up.