Well, I came home absolutely exhausted but we did it!! The Spokane to Sandpoint team relay race was awesome. SO much fun. Surreal and fun and HARD all at the same time. I had so much fun with my teammates. Everybody who participated was awesome; people wore costumes and had their vans decorated..... we all cheered eachother on - it was great. My only complaint was the heat. Holy cow it was HOT this weekend!! Running in 100 degree weather is NOT fun. The best part was running my 2nd leg..... I started in the middle of nowhere at 12:45am and ran 5.5 miles into Silverwood. It was cool and dark out and I just got in my zone. Afterwards my team and I immediately ran to the Tremors rollercoaster to ride it - that was SO fun and SCARY! Eyes squeezed shut the entire time. It was surreal riding it in the pitch dark with the rest of the park closed. I think I bruised the poor guy next to me from grabbing him so hard. While Van 1 was running we got about 2 hours of sleep on the floor of an elementary school gym in Oldtown, ID before jumping up to start our next leg. My last leg I ran 5.6 miles - 2.2 miles was across the Long Bridge in Sandpoint and it seemed like it was never, ever going to end. That was the longest 2.2 miles of my life. That bridge just seems to go on, and on, and on. Mentally it was hard. It wouldn't have been so bad but there was no shade and was right about noon in the high 90's on that looong concrete bridge. I am wimpy though, because several of my teammates had much harder legs than I did. Cyndy had a killer leg on the last day.... one looonggg hill that just went up and up and up. And Rachel still killed me on time, even being almost 3 months pregnant! Vanessa in Van 1 thought her first leg was some kind of a sick joke, her hills about killed her. I could go on, we had some awesome runners on our team. Unbelievably we were in the lead until about the middle of the night on Friday when some damn fast high-schoolers cruised past us like we were standing still, and then so did the IronMan guys, and then so did about 15 other teams. We finished 31st - we're not complaining! We thought we might come in dead last!
Anyway - it was great, and I was so happy to see the kids. Brian ran a tight ship while I was gone and Big Sis was such a big help. I am definitely up for doing it next year, and am already trying to convince Brian to do it with me. So far he is resisting my efforts.

1 comment:
Oh my gosh, good for you! What an awesome experience.
Post a Comment