Monday, February 9, 2009

"Not Me! Monday" - how NOT to be a good Mom


Once again, I (really) was not going to do NMM this week - nothing all that interesting going on....

And once again, here's the canned introduction to NMM:

Welcome to Not Me! Monday! This blog carnival was created by MckMama. You can head over to her blog to read what she and everyone else have not been doing this week.

Okay, as I was saying, I had no intentions of posting NMM UNTIL.........

First - the set up: Garbage day is early Monday morning here in our neck of the woods. Gotta put the trash out the night before because the garbage man comes awful early. My dear hubby forgot last Sunday night to drive it down to the end of our private road where it gets picked up... so last night we had extra garbage to bag up, which he bagged up in large bags and placed next to the can.
For whatever reason, this is the first Monday since B.C. that the garbage service did not come by 6am, in fact by the time I'm writing this (after 2pm) they still haven't came.....

NO biggie except CROWS and other various critters *did not* get into the bags of garbage strewing waste, dirty diapers, rotten food, q-tips, and other disgusting things everywhere.

I *did not* notice this upon coming home well past Baby Sis' naptime with 2 cranky, hungry, tired children in tow - both exhausted from our morning of errands.

Upon returning home & getting them both fed & washed up, then putting Baby Sis to bed I put Little Man back in the car and headed down to go clean up the garbage. This clean up job *did not* take a good half hour and *was not* totally disgusting. There *is not* still a dirty diaper frozen to the ground that I couldn't get unstuck down at the end of our nice country road.

THEN to top everything off - once we were done I put Little Man back in the car, putting him in the front seat (my 1st mistake)- my thinking is, we live in the country on a private road where only 2 other people live, and they're at work, dirt roads nobody around, what's the big deal - right?

SO I strap LM into the front seat and start the car (my 2nd mistake) & tell him firmly, "don't touch anything". I shut the door, put the bags back by the can, then approach my door and *absolutely did not* hear a "click".

Doors *not* locked.

My cell phone is at the house, the nearest neighbor is gone for the day, my 2-year old daughter is asleep alone in the house up the road and my 3 1/2 year old son *DID NOT just lock himself in our running vehicle*

Hyperventilate, pant pant, hyperventilate BREATHE.

It *does not* take almost 10 minutes of cajoling, encouraging, directing and begging my young son to push the little button on the door that has a picture of a key on it. I'd day "no, down just a little bit" and he'd bend down and touch the floor. I'd say "up, up almost there" and he'd touch the ceiling. Or, for a good part of the time he'd just smile at me and make silly faces.

But, disaster averted, he pushed the button - I gave him a firm scolding (and myself one too) and am now home *absolutely NOT* wishing that I could have a glass of wine.

Happy Monday everyone!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Goodness!!! You DESERVE a glass fo wine!!! Heavens Above. Talk about stress!

You get my gold star for the day just because you did NOT lose it!!

Many blessings to you!
Amanda

Beth E. said...

Honey, after that experience, you deserve a WHOLE BOTTLE!!!

Glad to hear everyone is safe. :o)

Melanie said...

Little stinker! Hmmm.....I wonder if his Dad ever pulled tricks like that......Nah, I'm sure he didn't.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I have totally locked my kids in the car, but *NOT* 3 times. What a parent of the year! Sorry about the garbage! HOw is the pregnancy going?!?