
Ok so you all know how (in)frequently I blog about cooking, or recipes. I do cook most nights but it certainly isn't my passion.
However, I am almost passionate about these pancakes... I love them! They are so yummy. They have a fabulous, naturally sweet flavor - and best of all they are healthy! They contain no added sugar which I find amazing considering how tasty they are. They are thicker than your average pancake, and more moist as well. I have found that they cook best if you set your griddle at slightly lower temperature than you normally would for pancakes and cook them just a bit longer. We had breakfast for dinner last night and these were a big hit.
I found them on allrecipes.com (I love that site). The kids gobble them up and so does my picky hubby. I top the kids' with peanut butter and applesauce rather than syrup to make them extra wholesome. Here's the recipe as I make them (tweaked just a hair from the original).
Of course, due to this whole gestational diabetes thingy I can only eat a few bites dangit!
INGREDIENTS
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tb ground flaxseed (optional)
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
DIRECTIONS
Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium-low heat.
In a bowl, mix the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and flaxseed. In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, yogurt, egg, and vanilla. Stir applesauce mixture and milk into the flour mixture until evenly moist and thick.
Scoop about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto the prepared griddle, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides.

2 comments:
These sound yummy! I might give 'em a try.
When my boys were younger, I fixed pancakes every week. I tried homemade pancakes, but they actually liked the Hungry Jack Pancake Mix better...go figure. Anyway, I'd make 24 4-inch pancakes each time (I also kept a friend's son during the summer), and those three would wolf those suckers down! I always had to remind them to save a couple for ME! That recipe wasn't very healthy, unfortunately, and neither was the syrup! I wish I'd had your recipe back then. :o)
Thanks for sharing!
Beth E.
Yum! I'm trying this recipe, I'll bet they're really filling which is a good thing with a teenager in the house.
Post a Comment