Monday, September 8, 2008

I baked!!


Melanie will be so proud. I used some of the yummy peaches that the kids and I picked and made muffins the other day. I found a great recipe on Allrecipes.com - I love that website, they have great recipes that have been reviewed by other home cooks with opinions, suggestions, etc. Anyway - I did alter it a bit to make it healthier; for example I used apple juice concentrate instead of sugar and use ground flax seed for most of the oil. I also use whole wheat flour instead of white.

Here's the altered recipe for healthy peach muffins:
* 3 cups whole wheat flour
* 1 1/2 T ground cinnamon
* 1 T ground nutmeg
* 1 tsp. baking soda
* 1 tsp. salt
* 3 cups ground flax seed
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 3 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 12 oz. can of frozen apple juice concentrate (thawed)
* 2 1/2 cups peeled, pitted, and chopped peaches
* 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk (depending on how juicy your peaches are) add this at the end to thin the batter
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease 16 muffin cups.
In a large bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the oil, eggs, apple juice concentrate and ground flax seed. Stir the oil mixture into the flour mixture just until moist. Fold in the peaches. Spoon into the prepared muffin cups.
Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Yay, good job! I'll have to try that recipe, it looks good!

Gardner Momma said...

They were good... They make for a "heartier" muffin w/lots of fiber. I was so proud of myself. It's getting a little late in the season and we've been so busy but I'm feeling braver and think I'll attempt lots more next year. I want to learn to can & make jam....